HOME

Thursday 13 May 2010

Every day sunshine

Not every day, actually. It was a rainy day yesterday…again. But the atmosphere in the Art House Aarau (Kunsthaus Aarau) was quite sunny in spite of the name of a new exhibition of Ugo Rondinone “The night of lead”.
There are few things I really loved about his art. Names of his works…are an art themelves…


And all the different media and forms of expression! : aluminum, canvas, wood, wax, video...


My favorite exhibits: the doors. I loved this one in particular, locked and chained…the door to one’s mind I would have called it…

The clown (or is it a Ku-Klux-Clown?...). I wanted to lie down next to him, but Kunsthaus keepers have been waaaay too strict. (The same with photos, at first I was told it was ok, but then I was hunted down every time i produced my little camera…)

And at last the video project. Now this is just great. But one has to take time in this room, don’t try to judge or understand, just swim in a blue sunshine…



There was also an interesting guest performer John Giorno (it is a real name?...) I havn't finished listening to his performance, but now when i re-read his poems, i regret to have left early...  Here is a sample of his (earlier) poetry.

On a day when
you're walking
down the street
and you see
a hearse
with a coffin,
followed by
a flower car
and limos,
you know the day
is auspicious,
your plans are going to be
successful;
but on a day when
you see a bride and groom
and wedding party,
watch out,
be careful,
it might be a bad sign.

Just say no
to family values,
and don't quit
your day job.

Drugs
are sacred
substances,
and some drugs
are very sacred substances,
please praise them
for somewhat liberating
the mind.

Tobacco
is a sacred substance
to some,
and even though you've
stopped smoking,
show a little respect.

Alcohol
is totally great,
let us celebrate
the glorious qualities
of booze,
and I had
a good time
being with you.


Just
do it,
just don't
not do it,
just do it.

Christian
fundamentalists,
and fundamentalists
in general,
are viruses,
and they're killing us,
multiplying
and mutating,
and they destroying us,
now, you know,
you got to give
strong medicine
to combat
a virus.

Who's buying?
good acid,
I'm flying,
slipping
and sliding,
slurping
and slamming,
I'm sinking,
dipping
and dripping,
and squirting
inside you;

never
fast forward
a come shot;
milk, milk,
lemonade,
round the corner
where the chocolate's made;
I love to see
your face
when you're suffering.

Do it
with anybody
you want,
whatever
you want,
for as long as you want,
any place,
any place,
when it's possible,
and try to be
safe;
in a situation where
you must abandon
yourself
completely
beyond all concepts.

Twat throat
and cigarette dew,
that floor
would ruin
a sponge mop,
she's the queen
of great bliss;
light
in your heart,
flowing up
a crystal channel
into your eyes
and out
hooking
the world
with compassion.

Just
say
no
to family
values.

We don't have to say No
to family values,
cause we never
think about them;
just
do it,
just make
love
and compassion

Apart from taking unauthorized photos and listening poems I don't quite understand, I spend my days in a cellar (sounds kinda freaky...) of Teatro Palino working on a new entrance sign. If you are trying to reach me on my mobile and don’t manage, I must be there, inhaling golden paint and talking to dusty, discarded angels...
P.S. I forgot to mention that the exhibition of Ugo Rondinone “The night of lead” will stay in the Kunsthaus Aarau through summer, I will sure go back to enjoy some everyday sunshine... 

3 comments:

  1. The gnarled white tree is magnificent; an "Ent," or one of those talking trees that threw apples in "The Wizard of Oz."

    The clown has been eating all of the chocolate eclairs..."Just Say 'No' to Stairs."

    The barred door looks like it's from the movie "Hostel." (A bloodhound tattoo would complete it);

    As for the poet...I'll have what he's having.

    But I think that Edgar Allen Poe expressed some of the same feelings in slightly more elegant prose...180 years ago.

    ALONE

    From childhood's hour I have not been
    As others were; I have not seen
    As others saw; I could not bring
    My passions from a common spring.

    From the same source I have not taken
    My sorrow; I could not awaken
    My heart to joy at the same tone;
    And all I loved, I loved alone.

    Then- in my childhood, in the dawn
    Of a most stormy life- was drawn
    From every depth of good and ill
    The mystery which binds me still:
    From the torrent, or the fountain,
    From the red cliff of the mountain,
    From the sun that round me rolled
    In its autumn tint of gold,
    From the lightning in the sky
    As it passed me flying by,
    From the thunder and the storm,
    And the cloud that took the form
    (When the rest of Heaven was blue)
    Of a demon in my view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous,

    I am slightly slow with my reactions - all of them - these days(blame our friend John, I'd like to think...)

    Yes, the tree IS magnificent. and it is made of aluminium...

    And of course Edgar Poe is brilliant...

    Last night I stumbled on a blog of a young Japanese man, here is some of his writing:

    "He is a lover rather than a fighter.
    With passion plus vision.
    He is a dream runner but not a game player.
    Will do whatever it takes for what is really importanat in his mind.
    Brave and independent most of the time, and be able to find the comfort in pain.

    ...invariably try to get balance between two extremely opposite things.
    Inner conflict with understanding and childlike personalities.
    Mature but never taking himself too serious.
    Always thinking that life is too short to be wasted but spending time on judging whether or not to do sometimes.
    Like enjoying an ordinary afternoon with plenty of peaceful sunshine.
    On the other hand keen on advertures so trying to fly around the world with an open-minded heart".

    I really liked it. One doesn't have to be edgy of filled with precious substances to express the deepest thought...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this poem very much. Thank you for sharing it.

    The poet expresses true reflection in innocent terms.

    I like the Japanese; they live in a complex and structured culture that ironically exalts simplicity as the highest form of art. It all conflicts but it somehow works too

    ReplyDelete