HOME

Thursday 8 November 2012

Love is easy

Last night I discovered another wonderful Jazz singer from Philadelphia: Melody Gardot. No, unfortunately I havn't seen her live, even so the opportunity imposes itself: Melody plays just around the corner- in Dijon in a couple of days (12.11.12); I heard her beautiful sad voice on the radio and I fell a little bit in love...

Really?.. You knew her already? How come it takes me ages to discover beautiful people like that?…

Gardot, born February 2, 1985, is a Grammy-nominated American singer, writer and musician.  She has been influenced by such blues and jazz artists as Judy Garland, Janis Joplin, Miles Davis and Duke Ellington.  Her music has been compared to that of Nina Simone.

"I've always felt like an old soul," Gardot states.  "I felt like I was 40 when I was eight…In my eyes, there's two kinds of music," says Gardot.  "There's the kind that rushes out at you, and the kind that settles in and lets you come to it.  I prefer the latter of the two.  I like the idea of hearing music in the distance; you're drawn to it and you want to know what it is.  To me, that's beautiful, that's the essence of listening to music: discovering it. exploring it and finding those little spaces.  To have it thrown out at you almost cheapens it."

Melody's life story is amazing, from the recovery after a deadly accident to becoming an extraordinary vocal sensation.  She learned the guitar while being bedridden for a year. Music was a key element of the therapy.  Gardot's lyrics are sophisticated and poetical; her sound is cool, dark and seductive. Here is a nice song for the evening : "Our love is easy"...

Good night to all.

Love,
AB

No comments:

Post a Comment